This article should very clearly define what members in addition to the Executive Officers, if any, the membership desires to comprise the Executive Board of the Local Union. If the Local has Executive Board Members in addition to the Executive Officers, this article should include a provision that these Board Members be elected in accordance with Article 15 Section B Paragraph 5 of the Constitution. Executive Board Members-at-Large shall be elected by plurality vote, unless the Local Union membership, by affirmative action, requires a majority vote.
There should be a provision setting forth the procedure and notice requirements for Special Executive Board Meetings. It is usually desirable that these meetings may be called either by the President, or by a majority of the Board Members.
There should be a section setting forth the general authority of the Executive Board in accordance with Section 7 (b) of this pamphlet. This provision should permit the Executive Board to direct payment of all ordinary bills and expenses of the Local Union but should restrict its authority to make disbursements of funds to a particular dollar amount in any single disbursement, and require the disbursement to be reported to the next membership meeting for approval.
The following additional sections phrased in By-Law language, are often found desirable:
- (a) A simple majority of the Local Union Executive Board shall constitute a quorum.
- (b) Minutes will be taken of all Executive Board Meetings by the Recording Secretary and shall be available to the membership at meetings.
- (c) All decisions and recommendations of the Executive Board shall be referred to the next regular membership meeting.
- (d) The Executive Board shall appoint at least one of its members to each of the standing committees in liaison or advisory capacity, except, however, the Workplace Bargaining Committees, or Election Committee.
- (e) The Executive Board shall review each issue of the Local Union paper, and where necessary shall take steps to bring the contents and policy of the paper into conformity with the policy of the National Union.