1. The National Executive Board shall establish a retired worker structure within Unifor.
2. A retired member is a member of a Local Union who has severed his/her employment relationship with a particular employer in the expectation of receiving a pension or retirement income.
3. A member who retires is entitled to “retired membership status” and does not have to pay dues. The retired member has all the privileges of membership except the right to vote on contract demands, strike votes, ratifications of collective agreements and on matters pertaining to the administration of the collective agreement. In addition, a retired member cannot run for Local Union executive office and cannot vote in elections for workplace representatives.
Local Union Chapters of Retired Workers
4. Twenty-five or more Retired Workers can apply to establish a Local Union Retired Workers Chapter by submitting its proposed By-Laws to the executive of the Local Union. When such an application is made, the Local Union will review the proposed By-Laws and amend its own By-Laws to establish the Retired Workers Chapter.
5. The Chapter shall hold regular meetings of its members.
6. The Chapter’s members shall elect a Retired Worker to be a representative of retired members on the Local Union Executive Board with voice and vote, using election procedures which conform to this Constitution.
7. The Local Union President or designee shall be a member of the executive of the Local Union Retired Workers Chapter with voice and vote.
8. Local Union Retired Workers Chapters shall adhere to National Union policies.
Area Councils of Retired Workers
9. Area Councils of Retired Workers can be established in designated geographic areas, or by combination of designated Local Unions.
10. A group of Local Union Retired Workers Chapters may jointly propose the formation of an Area Council of Retired Workers to the President of the National Union.
11. The President shall convey the proposal with a recommendation to the National Executive Board for consideration at its next meeting.
12. The proposal shall include a description of the objectives and governance of the Area Council as well as a decision on whether its membership shall be member or delegate based.
13. The President of each Local Union within the jurisdiction of an Area Council is entitled to name one (1) delegate to the Area Council.
National Council of Retired Workers
14. There shall be a National Council of Retired Workers whose By-Laws shall be approved by the National Executive Board.
15. Delegate entitlement to the National Council of Retired Workers shall be as follows:
(a) Each Local Union Retired Workers Chapter is entitled to one (1) delegate.
(b) Each Chapter with more than 1,000 members is entitled to one (1) additional delegate for each 1,000 members or major part thereof.
(c) Each Area Council of Retired Workers is entitled to three (3) delegates.
(d) Each Local Union with a Retired Workers Chapter is entitled to one (1) delegate named by the Local Union President.
16. The National Executive Board may approve additional representation.
17. The National Council of Retired Workers shall amongst other endeavours:
(a) Elect a Chairperson who will be a member of the National Executive Board.
(b) Promote the policies and participate in the programs of the National Union.
(c) Consider resolutions submitted by Local Union Chapters and Area Councils.
(d) Advise the National Executive Board on issues that affect Retired Workers within the union.
(e) Work to advance the interest of Retired Workers in our communities.
(f) Engage in the political, educational and organizing campaigns of the National Union.
18. The National Council of Retired Workers shall meet annually and the event will be translated and interpreted in Canada’s two official languages.
The Executive of the National Council of Retired Workers
19. An Executive of the National Council of Retired Workers shall be established and shall meet quarterly.
20. The composition of the Executive shall reflect the regional, gender and equity principles of the National Union.
21. The Executive shall be composed of a Chair, a Vice-Chair, a Secretary, and seven members-at-large. The Executive positions shall be filled at the annual meeting of the National Council of Retired Workers immediately following the Convention of the National Union.
22. The procedures for electing the Executive shall conform to this Constitution. The Executive shall serve for a term of three (3) years.
23. Upon election the Chairperson of the Executive shall be a member of the National Executive Board.
24. In the event of a vacancy in the position of Chairperson, the Vice-Chairperson will serve as the interim Chairperson until the next annual meeting of the National Council of Retired Workers, at which time an election will be conducted to fill the vacancy.
25. Each member of the Executive of the National Council of Retired Workers is automatically a delegate to Convention and the Canadian Council with voice and vote.
26. The Chairperson of the National Council of Retired Workers or her/his designee is automatically a delegate to each Regional Council with voice and one (1) vote. Executive members are delegates to the Regional Council where he or she resides with voice and one vote.
Membership and Dues
27. Membership in the Retired Workers structures is open to any member entitled to retired membership status.
28. Retired Workers are not required to pay dues during retirement. To assist in financing, voluntary retired membership dues are $1 per month. A Local Union may increase the dues subject to the approval of the National Executive Board.
29. Dues will be distributed as follows:
(a) 55 cents shall be allocated to a National Retired Workers Fund, of which 10 cents shall be remitted to the appropriate Area Council of Retired Workers. The National Retired Workers Fund shall support the activities of the National Council of Retired Workers.
(b) 45 cents shall be allocated to the appropriate Local Union Retired Workers Chapter.
30. The National Executive Board will decide the distribution of funds from the National Retired Workers Fund. Each Local Union Retired Workers Chapter Fund shall be held by the Local Union for disbursement upon the request of the Retired Workers Chapter.